1. Based on the City of Mississauga's Official Plan including the Downtown Core Local Area Plan (MOPA8 – Partial Approval), the City's transportation goals and objectives for the Downtown include:
· Creating a vibrant downtown by strengthening the transportation system, improving linkages/access and enhancing the pedestrian experience;
· Creating a fine-grained, well-connected street network that supports multiple modes of transportation; and,
· Developing an urban environment that includes high-quality public spaces such as parks, pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and outdoor seating areas.
The Transportation and Works Department is currently completing the planning studies for Square One Drive Extension and Living Arts Drive Extension which are two key streets in the Downtown area that will support all modes of transportation and assist in accommodating the future transportation demand of the street network. As the Downtown continues to grow, the City will continue to implement additional streets and pedestrian and cycling facilities in order to support the City's transportation goals and objectives for the Downtown. Examples include a new connection from City Centre Drive to Webb Drive and the extension of Webb Drive to Kariya Drive.
2. The illumination level achieved on Mississauga streets with LED lighting meets the City’s approved standards for roadway illumination. It is a common notion that the LED lighting is below par as compared to the previous high pressure sodium (HPS) lighting because the HPS lighting contributed to a lot of light trespass that unnecessarily illuminated the surrounding areas. LED lighting is, by design, very targeted lighting where the roads and sidewalks are primary areas of illumination.